Groentjuh's Server Forum Index Groentjuh's Server
 Forums of Groentjuh's server 
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DownloadsDownloads 
 RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 
The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:08 am
All times are UTC + 0
View posts since last visit
View unanswered posts
Calendar
djargon
March 30 1988 (36 year old)

Forum index » General Discussion » Groentjuh's Server Forum
RULE DISCUSSION - Allowing players to switch teams
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
Gridfon
Newbie poster

RULE DISCUSSION - Allowing players to switch teams

I believe that rule Nr. 7 has become meaningless, and should be removed:
Quote:
7. Players are not allowed to switch teams after the game has started.
- This can be excepted if either team is heavily outnumbered.

As far as I understand, it targeted statwhores who switched to the opposite team when their own team would start losing. This no longer happens today.

The situations that do happen are mostly limited to:
(a) T1-only or T2-only player gets shuffled to the opposite team;
(b) A commander insults his or her player, and that player subsequently switches to the opposite team;
(c) One field player dominates the game and nearly wins the game for his or her team, and then gets shuffled to the opposite team;
(d) Some players never play with certain commanders (for example, in the aftermath of multiple situations like in point b);
(e) A player from a stacked team switches to the opposite team to even out the game.
I see nothing wrong with these players switching back after a shuffle in (a)-(d). And in case of (e) it only helps to get better games.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:41 pm
  View user's profile Send private message    Mark this post and the followings unread Back to top 
djinghis
Newbie poster

Re: RULE DISCUSSION - Allowing players to switch teams

I see sometimes players like boter/grapist/rin/ale start on a team they care little for, then after using a considerable about of gold and buffs or simply stand idle to take up a slot - then they switch.
Also (c), I've seen this done in a false pretense, with a skillful player who simply gets bored of one race and/or can't sac a shield/ demo a heal spire and simply and selfishly wants to switch. Yes, I agree that some evening should be the initiative of players first and foremost and generally is done well.

I'm sure the rule is necessary and pertinent in conjunction with adjudicators common sense. Perhaps the rule note could be expanded to encompass commander banishment i.e a comm says gtfo Smile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:42 am
  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail    Mark this post and the followings unread Back to top 
Skuggi
Newbie poster

Re: RULE DISCUSSION - Allowing players to switch teams

Gridfon wrote:

As far as I understand, it targeted statwhores who switched to the opposite team when their own team would start losing. This no longer happens today.

You're right, this rule was originally intended to address a trend where players from the losing team swapped teams to protect and boost their stats. In later years, it has become more common for players from the winning team to swap, trying to balance the match. In many ways this rule is obsolete as it is not really enforced or even followed by most players.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:44 pm
  View user's profile Send private message    Mark this post and the followings unread Back to top 
jazzking
Newbie poster

I'm fine with removing this rule too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:08 am
  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail    Mark this post and the followings unread Back to top 
djinghis
Newbie poster

Hmm, am I missing something - any player can switch teams for any reason anytime without any consequence - this is what you want?

I guess now I can gate spy or fake building a sneak garrison then switch teams to fuck them up lol. But if you think the rule is meaningless, then w/e's Smile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:39 am
Skuggi
Newbie poster

It has always been possible to spy on the other team simply by joining spectators and then swapping back. However, I don't believe I've actually seen that happen except perhaps when Toxic joined spectators to understand how he could sac an enemy shield tower. I think most people found that extremely unfair, and it was not common.

What Gridfon is saying is that these days people only swap teams for "noble" reasons, for example to balance the game. If that is truly the case, the rule would hinder fair game-play that should in fact be encouraged.

On the other hand, if the rule isn't enforced in those cases it doesn't really matter if it's left as it is. And in rare cases when people swap teams for "stat whoring" purposes or in the case you mentioned it can be applied.

So, for now I don't see the point of changing this rule unless it's done as a part of a greater overhaul of the entire server rules, which is what I believe Gridfon was aiming for. However, I don't really see that happening now that he has resigned.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:57 pm
djinghis
Newbie poster

hear hear, That's all I was saying, the rule may not be broken much if at all, but it still needs to be listed in the rare event. The rule was broken a lot more on the US server "if that rule existed" such as a player aliasing and spamming for a sneak, then they disconnect and log into their main account to join the other team without building it lol. But like I said "to solve the noble aspect", the rule could use and appendage like (and also the commander accepts or requests a player switch).
And referee common sense never hurt Smile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:14 am
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » General Discussion » Groentjuh's Server Forum
Jump to: