Groentjuh's Server Forum Index Groentjuh's Server
 Forums of Groentjuh's server 
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DownloadsDownloads 
 RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 
The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:48 am
All times are UTC + 0
View posts since last visit
View unanswered posts
Calendar
Feathers
April 19 1994 (30 year old)

Forum index » General Discussion » Pulse's Server Forums
Draw votes
Moderators: Pulse's moderators
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]  
The Raging Asparagus
Newbie poster

Draw votes
Balanced is fucked up

Draw votes pass (I assume with >50% votes, maybe even >55%).
This is fucked up in my opinion.
Today we played a map where most of the time we were
6 humans v 7 beasts

Humans turned around the game and were on the way to win,
After some draw spam was failed we dropped a player (probably went to sleep).

In this situation beast voted draw and it was ofc 5v7 and draw passed.

So my question is why draw vote doesn't require >70% or something like that.
Who figured that the number should be close to 50%.. this is used widely to ruin games (by draw spam) where one team is slowly advancing towards a win and the other team tries to prevent it by this lame method.
This means that near 50% F1s are almost always guaranteed.
Personally I see this as an exploit or bad game design being exploited.

This really ruins the adrenaline for me.. :/

Can JMZ and other server admins do something about it?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:04 am
  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail    Mark this post and the followings unread Back to top 
djinghis
Newbie poster

Votes have a threshold after 10 seconds that inevitably pass if a success rate is >85%. no matter incoming votes after this period. Also a vote will not matter if <33% of all clients vote, the vote will disappear without action. As for the % required for success of a vote, it's unknown to me and server admins (within the config files at least) but as a guess, Id say its closer to 60 -65% to pass.
I think the success % is ok but the real problem is the people voting, those that are losing and those that are winning have their own agenda, seldom is that agenda not 100% personally driven.

• Join late, don't want to catchup kills/exp etc.
  • Join late, don't like the map or commander or the team it put you on.
  • Sitting in spec, want another game to start.
  • Your below the ago of 25 and half an hour is too long for you.

I think the common issue here is voters who don't have the game in their best interests only themselves.

Possible solution,

• A player must have been in the server for 5 minutes at least in order to vote (concede)(draw).
  • You can't vote from spectator(draw).
  • (regarding draw spam) Draw vote have 5 minute cooldown periods.

The problem with this,

This requires hardcode to be changed and the only remaining developer can only make 2d icons - not even well, sadly theirs not much that can be done from a server admins limited configuration file. This like many things has relatively easy fixes, that is before the sole developer closed shop and hogged all access to himself (and does next to nothing).

[edit] OFC correct me if I'm wrong, and it also may be possible to write a script at the expense of performance (as past scripts have shown us).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:11 am
  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail    Mark this post and the followings unread Back to top 
The Raging Asparagus
Newbie poster

Quote:
it's unknown to me and server admins (within the config files at least) but as a guess, Id say its closer to 60 -65% to pass.

Can a server admin provide the official % for this?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:09 am
Gridfon
Newbie poster

I played for T1 in that xr_gridlock game, along with TRA, SOMA, Nestor, sirscotofmucks, Rob, ken and possibly someone else. It ended with a draw 61 minutes in the game, at midnight per GMT time, with 5-3 or 5-4 vote (depending on whether my last millisecond F2 counted on the server, and not just on my client, which is questionable).

One can argue that the draw is unfair because T1 would eventually win the game. One can also argue that T1 was stacked, so it's their own fault they could not win faster (regardless of the fact that T1 came back from what seemed like a 100% lost game; it stabilized at 20 minutes when T1 finally got reloc; we already had lego+coil but not yet flux and demo). A draw was also fair for beelzebub who was a big reason that T1 survived the first 20 minutes, but who then got shuffled into T2 at around 30 minutes into the game. May be you would also feel different TRA if you actually played from the start, rather than only join at the 20 minute mark.

I don't see a problem with draw votes like this, and don't see a problem in general.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:59 pm
  View user's profile Send private message    Mark this post and the followings unread Back to top 
The Raging Asparagus
Newbie poster

I am bringing a general discussion here (assuming we disagree on that specific match).
What is the threshold?
Do you not see several games end in draw just because somebody spammed it and you clicked f1 by mistake one time (or just forgot to f2)?
Personally I see it at least once-twice a day and I think this has to stop.

Why does spectators get to vote?

TRA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:09 pm
Gridfon
Newbie poster

The Raging Asparagus wrote:

Do you not see several games end in draw just because somebody spammed it and you clicked f1 by mistake one time (or just forgot to f2)?
Personally I see it at least once-twice a day and I think this has to stop.

Sometimes there are problems, but more often than not people just overreact to draw votes. This is often true when someone misses the first half of the game (which could be 30 minutes of 1v1, or it could be an exploit festival), then joins towards the end and complains when a draw vote passes.

Why do spectators get to vote?

If spectators are not allowed to vote, they will just join teams to cast their votes. Some will go back to specs, some will not... teams may become unbalanced.

What is the threshold?

Good question.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:32 pm
  View user's profile Send private message    Mark this post and the followings unread Back to top 
The Raging Asparagus
Newbie poster

Quote:

more often than not people just overreact to draw votes

We disagree here as well

Quote:

If spectators are not allowed to vote, they will just join teams to cast their votes

And here again huge disagreement

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:40 pm
Groentjuh
Site Admin

Location: World > Europe > Benelux > The Netherlands > The hague
Config does only contains enabled or disabled switches for various stages(setup, warmup, in-game, end-game). Python has hooks to do post-checks to allow or disallow a certain vote (example: disable kick-votes for JmZ, while allowing others to be kick voted), but do not have an ability to see votes. No config will allow you to change the pass percentage as that part is hardcoded into the bins.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:57 am
  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
ICQ Number 
  Mark this post and the followings unread Back to top 
djinghis
Newbie poster

Yeah I pretty much said that, thanks for nothing )

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:54 pm
The Raging Asparagus
Newbie poster

So if it's coded (btw it shouldn't be coded in correct design) then change the code, it's not like it hasn't been done dozens of times for various other things (like pred skin, officer flags etc..).
The question is what is that %?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:29 pm
djinghis
Newbie poster

Would be nice if the servers had more control/access, and yes the cosmetics and junk are changes to the game but not in that sense, they are just containers for global modifications. Apparently the code regarding this is a mess (you wouldn't be the first to request this btw) OFC I heard this from the amateur XR programmer at the time, so perhaps it's not actually that hard )

But if in fact they do make any changes to the code, perhaps they can fix
Code:
timescale
which was a fun way to practice melee (in slow mo) on my duel server. Someone broke it a few patches ago or unless they mindlessly thought it was somehow a cheat and simply removed it. But OFC closing off the source and making walls around their moms basement as they've been doing over the years has seen ppl leave and nobody join leading to a stagnant game that will never get any TLC. It stopped being community driven some years ago - thx Daemon )

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:09 am
Groentjuh
Site Admin

Location: World > Europe > Benelux > The Netherlands > The hague
I requested votes to be handled more by python allowing future additional votes. Most votes simply allow the players on the server to execute a server command. This however only resulted in the python post-check hook, which still doesn't allow the degree of control wanted.

djinghis wrote:

Code:
timescale

thought it was [...] a cheat and simply removed it.

You got that right. It was really used for cheating though. The server does not always check if the player could do what the client told it just did! Removing timescale does have drawbacks: it also removed the only possibility to fast-forward serverside demos. They did only care about the possible cheating aspect and did not care about minimizing the drawbacks.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:53 am
  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
ICQ Number 
  Mark this post and the followings unread Back to top 
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » General Discussion » Pulse's Server Forums
Jump to: