Groentjuh's Server Forum Index Groentjuh's Server
 Forums of Groentjuh's server 
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DownloadsDownloads 
 RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 
The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:06 pm
All times are UTC + 0
View posts since last visit
View unanswered posts
Calendar
djargon
March 30 1988 (36 year old)

Forum index » General Discussion » General Discussion
newhope - suggestion
Moderators: Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
djinghis
Newbie poster

newhope - suggestion
map fix

First of all, this post was deleted by Daemon on newerth...

newhope -

Terrain exploit
#1: Illegal terrain traversable via leap beast side from tower at [2301,1619,304].
#2: Four of the 7 hills featured in this map allow for the age old catapult "exploit" (still a contentious issue) using its trajectory to shoot over hills. the hill requiring the traversable fix listed above has questionable laws surrounding its height through to the beast 2nd mine prime location. It needs clear indication of where the legality of blocker (actual or theoretical) makes its boundary. suggestion :- move the tree at [209,1566,208] to [2309, 1646, 284] and use a blocker to block the rest of the hill off from said exploit such as the fix provided.
[SS]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/81292617/Savage/maps/newhope/newhope_exploit.jpg
[file]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/81292617/Savage/maps/newhope/newhope.s2z
You may ask "but this still leaves a gap" Yes well is a large gap that is low enough to even see the top of the sub, and therefore within a ballista range, so lets not make invisible walls that make no sense.
#3: It's possible to scale up the rock and tower at [3150,2632,0] human side depending on the server settings.

"set p_shimmyBuilding 0 //Allow building shimmying exploit (using FWD key on/off when stuck allows climbing building)" (excerpt from xr_admin.cfg)

If you turn on building shimmying exploit like the kingdom server, you allow for exploiting of shimmying buildings and props (DUH!!!)
So this one is really is up to server admins to set their servers set up correctly, but if you feel its an exploit and the admin wont change his/her ways despite almost being able to walk up the tower, then best go back to your archaic system of making referee's manage preventable exploits through loosely interpreted rules. I myself use the "exploit" to take out shields and tempest from advantageous heights.

functionality
#1: World farclip exceeds recommended level at 10000 recommended 3000
repercussions .Low graphical performance, Exponential reduction in server frame-rate as world objects increase (farclip encompasses all objects into your client and the server despite not seeing them).
(buildings,players,bullets,items).
#2: Slight over population of chiprels.
repercussions .Adds unnecessary load to server/clients.
#3: inescapable shaft beast side on ruins_frontgate prop needs plugging.

Optional fix
#1: pointless bearloth on top of map at [3935,5384.358].
#2: Two chiprels making it difficult to build in a prime location at [2746,3896,32].
#3: four chiprels at [869,4967,21] too closely spaced.
repercussions. Stuck NPC's can not move as intended and can even crash servers.
#4: Seemingly pointless rock and visually stark contrasting theme at [3404,1389,16].
#5: Stucky moss ramp at [971,3415,250] annoying especially if you stop dead through a leap and lose all your stamina.

Furthermore This one could use some more consistency in texturing and pathways, the rock texture starts to define the non-traverable terrain but lazily ceases for the majority of the map. Some props ie the bright brown rock (almost yellow) despite not fitting in with a predominently mossy lush coloured map could at the very least use "layer3" canyon textures around it to give it some visual belonging.
The choice of the full_tree (one of the worst trees in savage) causes pathing issues due to its massive bounding box that worker AI uses, could be replaced with an alternative, however no pathing issues seem apparent pending further testing.

An XR version would seem useful as long as it pertains to the original terrain more or less and overall strategy that the original mapper intentended, and this is not limited to newhope but all the hope maps that have kept the original gameplay feel. A good example of how not to make an XR version of a map would be carnage to xr_carnage as its well its just terrible, and why the original was deleted in its place is beyond baffling.

And so i just didn't feel the need to just write about newhope but I also progressively fixed all of the above essential issues.

[file] https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/81292617/Savage/maps/newhope/newhope.s2z

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:06 am
  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail    Mark this post and the followings unread Back to top 
jazzking
Newbie poster

Hi dj,
I checked out the scripts and it doesn't look like there are any exploits. I'll upload to newerth for you, but under your authorship so it probably won't go online. If the policy changes regarding your maps I imagine it could be enabled though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:28 am
  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail    Mark this post and the followings unread Back to top 
djinghis
Newbie poster

Appreciate the gesture jazz, but I was not the author of this map and should not be listed as one, instead something like: Editor: El_Presidente (fix)djinghis. But in either case the peons that administer maps on newerth fear reprisal of having anything to do with the evil djinghis. So having full knowledge of this, this was more of an exercise in invoking spineless amoeba in a petri dish and take down results. And I guess killing 1 hour at the time after a bad game on that map with lag and exploits.

PS: I'm happy to answer any questions about mapping/scripting/modding anyone has (except Lion).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:52 am
Tjens
Newbie poster

Dude, Djinghis, you had a willing and able mapadmin in yours truely: I was aiming to get you back into Newerth and get all your maps back online in time, becouse I respected you as an able scripter and mapmaker.

So I gave you the benefit of the doubt and trusted you, wich you abused by personally handing me a map with a backdoor hack, on wich you used that map to mess up Groentjuh's self-funded server.

So yeah, you kind of messed up your last chance to get any of your maps online Rolling Eyes

The fixes you point out in this post however, can be of some use- and I might take the opportunity by making the changes myself once I have some spare time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:33 am
Trigardon
Newbie poster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:38 pm
Tjens
Newbie poster

oh crap sorry, thought this one was recent

ah well, point still stands Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:03 pm
djinghis
Newbie poster

Tjens wrote:
Dude, Djinghis, you had a willing and able mapadmin in yours truely: I was aiming to get you back into Newerth and get all your maps back online in time, becouse I respected you as an able scripter and mapmaker.

So I gave you the benefit of the doubt and trusted you, wich you abused by personally handing me a map with a backdoor hack, on wich you used that map to mess up Groentjuh's self-funded server.

So yeah, you kind of messed up your last chance to get any of your maps online Rolling Eyes

The fixes you point out in this post however, can be of some use- and I might take the opportunity by making the changes myself once I have some spare time.

If the config_server.cfg is empty - you got nothing to worry about bro, why re-invent the wheel - but it's not like savage players care about optimized maps that run better is it bro (oozes with sarcasm). Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:13 am
Tjens
Newbie poster

They do and me also

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:03 pm
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » General Discussion » General Discussion
Jump to: