Groentjuh's Server Forum Index Groentjuh's Server
 Forums of Groentjuh's server 
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DownloadsDownloads 
 RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 
The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:52 am
All times are UTC + 0
View posts since last visit
View unanswered posts
Calendar
Feathers
April 19 1994 (30 year old)

Forum index » General Discussion » Groentjuh's Server Forum
SAS
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 3 [44 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Ale
Newbie poster

SAS
worst ref eu

SAS is a respectable good player but an absolute desaster as referee and Im not the only one feeling that way. I propably should have complained earlier but I kept on believing that he might better. Today I lost faith.

What happened: Illegal ref slaying me as a balli, without warning and for discussable reasons.

Where and when did it happen: Groentjuhs Kingdom around 15:45 CEST.

Whole story: We were playing a nice friendly match on a map with a name Ive forgotten. I was pushing with balli all match long and was quite successful every now and then. In the middle of the match comm decided to take mid and shield it. SAS noticed his attempt to build defenses and tried to kill them before shield was up but failed. I saw his attack and knew he was going to come back. So as I was playing balli all the time I decided to defend the upcoming shield with a balli as well. I moved my ballista to the spot marked on the screenshot and waited for him. He approached and I shot him. At his 2nd approach he slayed me before he moved in.
As you can see on the screenshot I was not exactly far away from a spawn point but still far enough to be an easy target for any blazer, surger or fire buffed Pred. The only thing I might have dodged from that position by moving back into garr would have been a tempester. However that was not my intention. I just wanted to secure shield till its closed and would have died for and with it (besides that front shield was a normal tower at that time). I did not "whore" or exploit the advantage of a spawnarea by moving back into garr right before someone could kill me. Neither was I exessivily camping in any way.
Skuggi wrote:
You might want to make sure that people are actually camping before you slay - should have some tolerance. It's mostly the 'excessive' camping we're trying to prevent.

I was just defending my shield with the weapon I was using since it was developed.

Afterall the shield got up and we won the match 5 min later. His slaying did not change the outcome of the match but still I am posting here because this was not the first time SAS made a doubtful decision as ref. Since he got this status he constantly tries to blindly enforce rules without thinking. More than once his decision were based on the misinterpretation and caused alot of desperation and lack of understanding. And the worst part is, some referees are already taking an example and copying his behaviour.

A referee should (not only in Savage but in every game around the world) remain unnoticed as long as the game is fluid and everbody is having fun. Even if rules are broken every now and then, a referee should not take any action as long as noone gets heavily miss treated or an unfair action is drastically changing the balance of powers and/or the outcome of the match. Its not about following the rules word for word (a bot could do that) its about using your common sense and allowing everybody to have his share of fun. So please educate SAS or remove his ref status because the way he uses his ref has nothing to do with whats mentioned above.

Cheers,
Ale

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:43 pm
  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail    Mark this post and the followings unread Back to top 
Rene
Newbie poster

i just want to say, the general consensus was being a research center away from your spawnpoint. so your position on that screenshot seems fine to me but it's just my call and i'm no longer a ref. just giving a feedback to your thoughts, with my past experiences.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:53 pm
  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail    Mark this post and the followings unread Back to top 
Ale
Newbie poster

Maybe I was within the range of a RC length, maybe I wasnt but the point I want to make is a different one. I am complaining about SAS usage of his ref powers in general, bringing this particular case as an example for his behaviour.

Quote:
6. Players are not allowed to camp at spawn locations with siege units.

As far as I understood this rule, it was made to prevent players from exploiting the game mechanics for an overpowered gameplay by making use of the 1 shot kill ability of siege units IN COMBINATION with the advantage of camping at a spawn area where you can easily pop back into your building when youre endangered to die. This gameplay would be pretty frustrating for the opposing team because even if one manages to dodge the enemies shots and get close enough for an attack, the camper will just disappear, leaving one infront of the enemy base probably getting killed by defenses or worse.
It is the duty of a referee to distinguish this behaviour from others and use rule #6 as a tool to prevent such "lame gameplay".

SAS is doing the exact opposite. He is acting as a tool of the rules, blindly applying rules without understanding their purpose. If it was just about enforcing rules exactly as they where written, no referees would be needed, scripts could do the job. Actually there was a script once slaying sieges that where sitting within a certain range of a spawn location for a certain amount of time. However that script got disabled. For what reason again?

Me and many others where trying to convince SAS of his failures whenever he made them, hoping for betterment. Unfortiunately he would not listen to us, considering our words as the usual rage referees receive eversince. Im writing here because I was hoping that one of you could talk some sense into him so that we can finally play in peace again.

Cheers,
Ale

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:58 am
jazzking
Newbie poster

Well I'm not going to talk about what happened since I'm ill-informed.

But Ale, you've made the same statements about ref inaction being good in the interest of "fluidity" before. Numerous rules are enforced despite no effect on outcome of the match, racism rule for example. Its purpose is to help everyone be having fun. It doesn't take drastic outcome-changing exploits to diminish the enjoyment of the game for other people, siege camping is a perfect example. Imo siege camping essentially robs players of their fun, although since it doesn't always break the rules, I use the RC length metric, and try to check that they didn't just spawn, shield isn't down, etc.

If you've been watching the world cup you'll notice that these reputed refs are constantly interrupting the fluidity of the game and are in fact not invisible in the slightest.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:05 am
drk
Newbie poster

My own opinion is that SAS was wrong slaying you there (guess he was mad after he failed with saccing the shield) and his excuses would be the best way to end this talk.

Ale wrote:
And the worst part is, some referees are already taking an example and copying his behaviour.

Anytime write here with facts (demo, scr) like you did this time.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:29 pm
SAS
Newbie poster

First of all Ale , i'm happy u actually start complaining here in the forums, unlike the rest whiners in the game that know only how to curse a ref in-game but will never actually try to prove their claims.
Second of all I want to clear a few things,
1. i think u were pretty close to the garrison there and I do think it was siege camping,
2. when I slayed u, i was a scav, saccing that shield was hopeless anyway in my case, I didn't gain anything from slaying u rather than enforcing the rule I thought is right.
3. I don't put ref powers in the last 2 months until idiots start ruining the game, then they force me to use ref powers.
4. many times ppl claim I use ref powers to my advantage, nobody count the times I slay behe campers in my own team in the middle of enemy demo runners.
5. Ale, I would also want you to reconsider your behavior towards the server, refs, and me. it's nice that u tell all the rest are shit, however, don't forget to judge your own words and acts we both know.

but, I do appreciate u come to the forums to debate such stuff rather than just rage in the server, and if drk finds this as a mistake of mine, I will learn from that to the future. but its important he will see all the facts. (i myself couldn't see the screenshot/demo u posted here, but anyway i remember the picture in my head clearly.)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:46 pm
drk
Newbie poster

I think that 'siege camping at sub/gar' means that siege camps so close to it that it can get back in faster than you can sac it or to recharge itself for frags.
From the screenshot I see (if that is true) that ale was away from gar, under the tower, defending while it was being built. So you can kill him using blaze/tempest/sac etc. He could not avoid that so easy.
That's why I don't see a reason to slay him in that episode.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:12 am
Groentjuh
Site Admin

Location: World > Europe > Benelux > The Netherlands > The hague
SAS wrote:
but, I do appreciate u come to the forums to debate such stuff rather than just rage in the server, and if drk finds this as a mistake of mine, I will learn from that to the future. but its important he will see all the facts. (i myself couldn't see the screenshot/demo u posted here, but anyway i remember the picture in my head clearly.)

http://postimg.org/image/chg7z3xzd/full/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:47 pm
  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
ICQ Number 
  Mark this post and the followings unread Back to top 
SAS
Newbie poster

true, however, if i would temp he could go inside gar without dying and if i blaze, i would die by towers. the shield tower groent posted on his photo was a tower at the time. anyway blazing a bally is possible on almost every scenario since it takes maybe 4 sec to blaze it down, the bally need to be really 2 m close to garr/sh to avoid that.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:21 pm
Ale
Newbie poster

SAS wrote:
if i would temp he could go inside gar without dying

I could but I wouldn't and it's your job to see that. You should know my gameplay good enough to know that im not interested in lame statwhoring. I'm interested in bringing my team to victory, always. If there would be a ranking for the Reapers best buddy award, I would probably be found under the top 10 because I do not care.

SAS wrote:
if i blaze, i would die by towers

But the rule doesn't forbid camping near defense buildings does it?

Concerning my behaviour:
I will always troll, flame and insult people playing against what I would call, the spirit of Savage and the ref mess of yours in the last couple of months made you one of them.
Ask achiles. He once claimed to be the biggest troll in Savage so I decided to show him real trolling. I lamerushed him, tempested his workers till he went mad, killed his shields, did everything to make him loose when he was comm, interrupted his gameplay on the field with everything I had, provoked him, turned his own words against him and even made the server vote kick him numerous times till he finally became a nicer person.
I will not hesitate to do similiar things to similiar people in the future.

Cheers,
Ale

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:10 am
SAS
Newbie poster

some ppl would exploit to make their team win, it doesn't mean thats allowed.
and i gave blaze example because every bally can be blazed, so what is siege camping? a bally that is touching the garr? because otherwise almost every bally far 2 meter from gar is blazeable, yet it's still considered camping. there's no specific range of sieges to be far from spawn points, there's an estimate of the ref if the bally can return to the gar or not. anyway the siege camp is not only because of siege survival, it's about unfair advantage that u can kill someone all the time with 1 hit in your base and recharge your bullets in a sec and keep on camping. thats the real prob in siege camping.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:20 pm
Ale
Newbie poster

SAS wrote:
it's about unfair advantage that u can kill someone all the time with 1 hit in your base and recharge your bullets in a sec and keep on camping. thats the real prob in siege camping.

Still I was not doing it. It would have made no difference to me if that point was 1 m or 1000 m from the next spawn point. I would have still been standing there waiting for you. Not because of any advantage the Garr might have offered but only because of the shield that was going up behind me.

Anyways:

SAS wrote:
if drk finds this as a mistake of mine, I will learn from that to the future

drk wrote:
I don't see a reason to slay him in that episode

Ale wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:57 pm
SAS
Newbie poster

i think this actually need to be discussed much more. since i see all the time refs slaying sieges that are staying at enemy base, it doesn't matter that u go the whole game with the bally, it matters that u stayed for a long period of time in base, and any1 who comes close to the base will die in 1 shot.
actually i would appreciate more refs to disccuss this, cuz this claim i did wrong is really stupid the more i think about it

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:36 pm
drk
Newbie poster

SAS wrote:
i think this actually need to be discussed much more. since i see all the time refs slaying sieges that are staying at enemy base, it doesn't matter that u go the whole game with the bally, it matters that u stayed for a long period of time in base, and any1 who comes close to the base will die in 1 shot.
actually i would appreciate more refs to disccuss this, cuz this claim i did wrong is really stupid the more i think about it

tbh I think that some parts of rules should to be changed, because now we have only 'not to camp with a siege near spawn points'.
So, if (for example) jmz takes summoner and walks away from sub and hides in the tech and will be waiting for hours to catch some lego - its ok by rules. Sounds stupid but it is legit.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:53 am
Ale
Newbie poster

@drk: Why does that sound stupid to be legit? If he is willing to wait ages for a single kill let him. His team will suffer from his absence on the field elsewhere. Also JmZ is not that hard to pwn. I kill his summ 90% of the times I face it. So let him have his 1 shot at you, if he misses, smash his horned face with a nice elec buff or something.

@SAS: As i said several times before, it's the job of a referee (at least in any other game on this planet) to prevent players from getting away with unfair behaviour (@jazzking: and this includes racism and other kinds of maltreatment of players) and not just applying rules without using the freaking brain god hopefully gave you. Balli camping alone is not unfair. Like every other unit, ballistas are balanced and got their upsides and downsides (Nomad: speed vs weakness, Legio: strength vs slowness and so on). Surely as balli you can kill someone with a single shot, but once he's close enough you're screwed because this unit absolutely sucks in close ranged fights. However ballicamping becomes unfair when you exploit the game mechanics by taking advantage of a spawnarea, moving back into the loudout screen every time someone gets to close. By that you simply avoid the disadvantage a ballista brings with it and only make use of its advantages. It's your job as a referee to see if one is trying to make use of that mechanism, actually avoiding the disadvantages of the unit he chose and therefor is playing unfair. If and only if that is the case you may swing into action, using your ref powers to punish one for beeing a bad sportsman and a dick.
I for myself was not doing such and you should have known. You know me for a long time now, have you ever seen me not playing for my team? Have you ever witnissed me going for my own advantage, ignoring the fate of my team? Do you actually know how often I helped newbies, defended smaller units vs buffwhoring pricks and punished dickheads for their bad behaviour in my own way? As I mentioned before, I would have died for and with that shield. There is no scenario where I would have gone back to garr to avoid my own death (or reload). I was not doing what the rule was made to prevent afterall and that is why you did wrong.

Also i'm not invincible as ballista. My aim is like 20-30% and I would have had 2-3 shots at max before you would have reached the shield. That I hit you with my first shot was simple luck. Therefore your statement
SAS wrote:
any1 who comes close to the base will die in 1 shot

is wrong aswell.
Besides that you completly ignored the "excessive" in
Skuggi wrote:
It's mostly the 'excessive' camping we're trying to prevent.

since it was the first time in the whole match I was actually camping at all.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:13 pm
Page 1 of 3 [44 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » General Discussion » Groentjuh's Server Forum
Jump to: