Groentjuh's Server Forum Index Groentjuh's Server
 Forums of Groentjuh's server 
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DownloadsDownloads 
 RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 
The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 pm
All times are UTC + 0
View posts since last visit
View unanswered posts
Calendar
djargon
March 30 1988 (36 year old)

Forum index » General Discussion » Groentjuh's Server Forum
Make buffs officer-only
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]  
Trigardon
Newbie poster

Make buffs officer-only

Hello folks,

after some talking we wonder what you guys say about making buffs officer-only again.

I for my part think we should set it back to how it used to be:

Pros:
- Makes commanding harder again
- The amount of wasted buffs are reduced
- Trolls can not randomly waste them anymore
- Allowing officers to sac on their own hand as most officers are good players
- Less rage against players
- Matches might be not as stalemate as some are now

Cons:
- If the commander doesn't buff you might be helpless in some situations
- More rage against comms

What do you think about it?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:21 pm
  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail    Mark this post and the followings unread Back to top 
Telvek
Newbie poster

Re: Make buffs officer-only

Trigardon wrote:
Hello folks,

Pros:
- Makes commanding harder again

I actually see this as con...

I don't know. On the one hand I agree, cuz you can easily save buffs for something important ( not to kill enemies Razz). On the other hand, you are helpless if you want to win a game with using buffs, but the commander forgot you to promote/doesnt like you etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:26 pm
  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail    Mark this post and the followings unread Back to top 
EnglishSlug
Newbie poster

the question is really offering to remove a power from the comm.

comms can already set buffs to offis only.

i'd say no because esp. if you go afk etc. its beneficial to set buffs to team not just offis as you'd be afk when good players join ur team and could effectively use those buffs.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:56 pm
Tasty
Newbie poster

I started this in Ref Forum, so will F1 here aswell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:29 am
Tjens
Newbie poster

When a commander takes the seat buffs are automatically set on officers only, so unless a commander - in all his wisdom and expertise - enables autobuffs for all players on the field it's gonna be disabled anyway.

As English slug said, when the commanders goes afk, sets buffs auto on all players and leaves to have a wank-a-marathon or something the team can always decide to elect a new commander that knows how to give away officer flags.

Not so much a server-side discussion in my opinion. Idea

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:39 pm
Tasty
Newbie poster

noone should be afk in commanderseat!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:44 pm
bullet
Newbie poster

I find this topic unclear.

A: is the idea to set the buffs to officer only permanent and statically (comm cant change it)

or B: To change the default buff option in the commander seat, but comm and experienced commanders can change it back.

If A is the case,I have to strongly disagree. Not only does the team gets harder punished IF the comm should go afk to the toilet for a minute or two, its also makes the game harder for newbies to learn to command. Remember that we only have one active server, and even we gotta let newbies command every now and then (best case, 2 at once).

Not to mention the tactical disadvantage a team have when he dont have time to buff the players who need it.

If B is the case, I dont mind. As long as the commander have the option to set the buffs to FFA.

And one last note: I have a feeling this topic arises due to many vets rejoining the game lately, and not happy someone else uses their buffs when they are officer. Try play a day without buffs at all, and see take note for every situation u could have needed a buff. Hell, imagine how many sneak subs Phoe have stumbled across his time, and could have needed a buff.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:38 pm
djinghis
Newbie poster

As mentioned by english and tjen, the officer only function already exists within the commander controls, why deprive the commander of this essential option.
P.S Your pros and cons are ill-conceived.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:29 pm
jazzking
Newbie poster

Maybe autobuffing should be left on for the situation where a noob comm doesn't know how to help a saccer.
However I would like to see buffs balanced better so that it's not rewarding to use in pvp. Or perhaps autobuffs are only enabled within a certain radius of an enemy building.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:25 pm
djinghis
Newbie poster

*Auto-buff by default is set to off (changing this requires a game patch) (or simply communicating to the commander to turn it on).
*The most effective and rewarding sacs are with heals done by the player (and by communicating with the commander to turn them off until the sacer is ready).
*The only effective measure against 2 or more players simultaneously attacking you is to buff, not to mention freeing up an area for access to buildings.

Not having this essential feature diminishes the game experience, and those who never get officer will never learn it. I think officers get too much as is with marking and regeneration, extending the gap between player (newb) and officer (vet) can only contribute to an already damaged learning curve of this game.

I think the issue of buffs overpowered/overused/restricted to, delves deeper than simply "officers only" server settings. The ability is classic RTS micro management, lets not dumb down the game.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:05 am
Tasty
Newbie poster

The Point is that Buff get to much used on Personal Revenge and other Stuff, demorunning and saccing become more difficult, cause of less Buffs. Sure the commander has to be more skilled to handle the buffs

djinghis wrote:

What do you mean by that?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:11 am
Ale
Newbie poster

The buff power belongs to the commander. He builds the necessary buildings, he's the one to decide who may use em.

IF buffs get wasted too much its a common practice to turn buffs off and giving them manually to the people that need them (i.e. saccing a shield). So a comm should always be able to turn buffs on or off for everyone/offis cause even offis waste buffs sometimes.

Locking buffs to offis only might get frustrating if say, you are a common player finding yourself in a gamechanging position and all you need is the help of a single buff. Asking your comm for buffs often doesn't help as most comms don't even react on those calls anymore.

Locking buffs to a certain radius of enemy buildings won't do it either. You need buffs for much more than attacking enemy buidlings. Speed buffs for sneaking or getting a gate in time for instance or defending your shield with an elec, finishing the last few % of your forward garr with a mag, taking down that shield buffed lego in your base with fire and heal buffs etc.

On the other hand, forcing comms to manually buff some players from time to time might teach them how to buff properly, an important skill for CWs which most commanders completely suck at.

As an experienced comm and selfbuffer I say, leave it the way it is. Changing it will cause more problems than it solves.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:49 am
jazzking
Newbie poster

Yeah as much as I dislike buffs used against me I think this problem cannot be fixed with server settings. The game itself needs to adjust how they work.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:56 pm
djinghis
Newbie poster

Tasty wrote:

djinghis wrote:

What do you mean by that?

The pros and cons mentioned did not take into account that the commander already has the ability to designate buffs and restrict them, therefore they were...

adjective
adjective: ill-conceived
not carefully planned or considered.
"ill-conceived schemes"

Usually when you get buffed 1 on 1 or out in the field, boter for example uses chem to chase you 5 on 1 then mag buffs to look for a block so he can elect you (common style) then you consider it a waste and generally it is. But the problem creeps in when the team has multiple factoriums/shrines and then its no longer fair gameplay. one team has no chance after a while because suddenly players feel its ok to buff every encounter if it hardly effects a 200 buff pool.

There is a server setting for this, that limits the player to use buffs on 100+ but Id not recommend use of it because its buggy and building multiple shrine/factoriums should inherit some reward for the commanders resource management. I feel that multiplying these buildings should yield something other than a bigger buff pool as buffs are the problem? even give an ammo boost or ad scopes to the respected weapons - but then again XR are the only ppl who can make that happen so GL with that xD.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:11 am
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » General Discussion » Groentjuh's Server Forum
Jump to: